Friday 16 March 2012

Getting festive in Anda

On Sunday and Monday, we traveled northwest an hour to the community of Anda to participate in a local festival.  It was their 'Foundation Day', celebrating the 137 years of the town (I know, 137 seems a bit of an odd number to hold a big festival for, but hey, everyone likes a party).  The event consisted of displays from all of Anda's barangays (quarters/neighborhoods), dancers, a parade, food, and the funniest triathalon I've ever witnessed. Most of the participants walked the swim, wore what appeared to be baseball batting helmets for the bike, and one did the run in some teva-esque sandals (Scott Anderson- a possibility for the Boston Marathon?).

Our participation included a booth on the marine wildlife of bohol (hmmmm...this seems familar somehow):



Which included entertaining a whole whack of kids for most of the afternoon. They were asked to draw pictures of marine wildlife, and my new buddy,  Arvin, did my favorite picture of all:


We also got to participate in the parade, which was also sort of funny since pretty much everyone in the entire town was in the parade, so there really wasn't anyone around to watch it.   I had an awesome posse of school girls accompany me along the entire route:



As I mentioned, part of the festival was a cultural show with dancing and singing:



 The bamboo poles in the picture are later used for a dance that looks a bit like double dutch, but instead of a skipping rope, they clack the poles together along the ground and the girls dance in and out of them.


The boys use coconut shells that they hold to drum against the coconut body gear they are wearing. And yes, it does look like a coconut bra (teehee).


It was a great way to learn a little bit more about local culture and to have some fun with local kids.  Later in my stay we will be putting on two large events ourselves and I am already scheming up activities and events for them.  Wishing my cetacean ladies were here to help (I'm looking at you whale girls!)!!

1 comment:

  1. The old information booth really does seem to follow you from job to job, doesn't it?!

    The festival looks like it was lots of fun. I know the stick-jumping dance you're referring to; some of my students have shown it to me, so I think it's popular throughout the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete