Thursday 5 April 2012

Friends and Neighbors: Puppies

I am pretty sure how I feel about puppies is the way most women my age feel about babies.  I want one, I feel ready for one, I fantasize about what I would name one and taking it on adventures.  A puppy that is, not a baby (are you crazy?).  Lucky for me, we have SIX right now at our place.  SIX PUPPIES.  I love them all.

Their mom is the resident dog, JB.  She is a wonderful, super affectionate 2 year old mongrel.  Pretty much all dogs here look like some variation of JB- medium sized, slight build, mottled colour, pointed ears.  Not all of them are as lovely as JB though. She will happily spend hours being patted and lay at your feet loyally.  You are particularly her best friend if you sneak her some lechon manok (roast chicken).  JB is a somewhat reluctant mom to her puppies, but she is only 2 and this is already her second batch (hello spay and neuter!?!).

The wonderful JB.

Now everyone keeps telling me not to get attached to JB's pups, as puppy mortality is high here.  Particularly getting hit by a car.  But I can't help it.  They are just toooooo wonderful.  Right now they are about 5 weeks old.  Each individual personality is starting to come out- we've even named them, so the whole not-getting-attached has gone out the window.

When I first got here are they were so small, all they did was sleep and we didn't bother them too much as our presence concerned JB.  I've only got a few pics of them when they were small.


Now that they are older, we can play and cuddle them.  I regularly take puppy breaks.  There are four boys, two girls.  My favorite is Pacquiao, named after the very famous Philippino boxer.  As per his namesake, Pacquiao is always scrapping with his brothers and sisters.  Naturally, he is my fave because he is the most mischevious, outgoing and badly-behaved. Don't be fooled by his sweet pictures:



Pacquiao is so rough and tumble, he can even handle being cuddled/mauled by our neighnor Monnako- a sweet, but not so gentle little girl.
Then there is Bernard, named because of his St-Bernard colouration and his slightly portly build. He is another fave.



Ellie is one of the females and the only all black pup.  The name Ellie comes from Pepenocephalo electra, which is the latin name for melon-headed whale- the most common, all-black dolphin seen in this area.  Ellie can be a bit shy, but will let you give her a cuddle some times.

Ewa and Ellie have a cuddle


Then there is Meekus and Brint.  If you know the reference, you know Zoolander (which we watched a little bit ago and have been quoting non-stop ever since).  Brint is actually a girl and Meekus a boy.  They are both super friendly, tail-waggers.  
Sleepy Meekus

Awake Meekus

Itchy Brint.

Lastly, there is Shadow, so named because he is so skittish, he is scared of his own shadow.  He is so pretty, but won't let you get near him without screeching bloody murder and running for his life.



So, now I am trying to devise a way to bring them all home.  Who wants one?  And how to I transpot 6 puppies in a stress-free way and avoid 6 months of quarantine?  Hmmmmm....

UPDATE: I just checked and dogs entering Canada do not need to be quarantined!  They just need their rabies vaccination.  Should I bring one home?  Is it horrible to put a dog on a plane for hours?  I know there are dogs in Canada that need homes too, but these are my little buddies. How would I choose which one to bring?

1 comment:

  1. Rufus, Brint, and Meekus were like brothers to me. And when I say brother, I don't mean, like, an actual brother, but I mean it like the way black people use it. Which is more meaningful I think.
    If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.

    ReplyDelete